Saturday, February 23, 2008

All Quiet on The Weston Front – Quite literally….

Sorry, I couldn’t resist the play on words…

The reason it is so quiet here on the Weston Front is because I have my annual case of Laryngitis. A few weeks ago it started out as a sinus problem/head cold and it has slowly been making its way south. I had the annoying post-nasal drip for about a week and finally after an afternoon of laughing in the wind at the park, I was struck mute. Okay, that all sounds rather dramatic and honestly it was not dramatic in the least. I slowly became croaky and then was reduced to a whisper. The kids are having a blast, Richard cannot believe his luck and I am already bored of all the jokes at my expense. Seriously, do I really talk that much?? Okay, don’t answer that!




I am also bored of the constant throat clearing, the sympathetic looks from strangers and the stupid questions (‘Oh, have you lost your voice…?’). I hate being sick, I am not good at it and would much rather do something else. Some people love all the attention, but I am definitely not one of them. How much use can I be as a Mom, when my most valuable weapon is out of action? The good news is that I managed to order coffee in Starbucks today sans voice and actually got exactly what I had ordered. I don’t think that has even happened before. I guess you lose the dodgy English accent when you have Laryngitis.

I do have to share this Aimee story – it was a classic.
Yesterday after school, Aimee informs me that she wrote a story about me in her school journal.

This is how the conversation went:

Aimee: I wrote about you today Mom.
Me: You did.
Aimee: Yes, the story was called Voice.
Me: Uh-Huh.
Aimee: Yes, I said that today my mom lost her voice. She lost her voice because she yells ALL the time.
Me: You wrote that?
Aimee: Yes.
Me: But why did you say that, I don’t yell all the time?
Aimee: I had to say that Mom because it was a Non-Fiction story…

I nearly died laughing. I guess that lesson in always telling the truth even if the truth hurts really has sunk in.

So not much else to report from the Choi home. Cadence is fast following me into sickness, poor baby has a cough and a nasty runny nose. She was sent home from school today, which was great since I collected Aimee while I was there - nothing like the weekend starting early. They did nothing but argue for the first hour together, which in itself is okay, but when you can’t speak it is really infuriating not to be able to yell at them to stop. Not that I yell ALL the time of course, right Aimee?

Anyway, the plus side to Cadence not feeling well was that this evening she came upstairs and snuggled in bed with me as I read (I was resting my voice). She fell asleep almost immediately and I was able to hug her to my hearts content. She is an affectionate little thing, but she never sits still long enough to snuggle, so this evening really was special. I miss her being a baby. I used to love taking a nap with her when she was younger. Now, she way too active and independent to sit with Mama for more than a few seconds. So even though I hate to see her sick, I will take hugs and be very grateful for them.

1 comment:

Tammie said...

I'll admit it. I laughed. Aimee's non-fiction story was cute. I'm sure Erin (& David) would like it if I lost my voice.

Hope your feeling better soon!