I am sure many of you have heard of the show ‘Are you smarter than a 5th Grader?’ Well, I am beginning to wonder if I am smarter than a Kindergartener. Aimee started KG back in August and it is not how I remember school. I know I could read pretty well when I started school at age 5, but she is ridiculous. She is a voracious reader and I often have to remove a mountain of books from the bed after she has fallen asleep. Her newest KG skill is spelling – who knew you had to spell in KG? For a while she has had a reading list of words that she is tested on weekly, but last week they came home marked as ‘Spelling Demons’. Now when I was 5 and 6, we read and spelt words like dog, ball, girl, boy, then, saw, etc. Aimee’s words are guess, tomorrow, among, doctor, early, friend, people, balloon, birthday, quiet, hear, minute, children… She not only has to know how to read them, but she has to spell them too. The kid is 6 years old for goodness sake. Before Christmas I was worried she was not being stretched enough in her reading, but now I am wishing for those quiet days. Now we spend hours practicing her spelling words. Thankfully, we have not had any that are not the same in British English yet, but you know that day will come and then I will definitely not be ‘Smarter than a First Grader’. I am just grateful she loves learning; I can’t imagine how hard this project will be with Hansen and Cadence over the next couple of years. I do have to say a shout out to my favorite First Grade teacher Mrs P (cheers Shannon). Thankfully, she has been giving me some ideas on helping Aimee and we are making great progress.
Richard traveled to Detroit last week to attend meetings all week (he DID NOT attend the Motor Show he forcedly pointed out more than once, just in case I thought he was there having fun while I stayed home with 4 kids…), but was holed up at the Ren Cen in back to back meetings. I think he imagines me sitting on the couch eating bon-bons the entire time he is away ;-) Let’s just say, I was very pleased to see him for a few hours this weekend. He left again Monday afternoon for Brazil and boy do I miss him already? Thank heavens the girls are back to school tomorrow. Someone at the School Board is having a laugh; they gave the kids a 5 day weekend, not two weeks after the Christmas break. What the heck is that about? Don’t they know I look forward to my kid-free couple of hours each day?
Wednesday, January 23, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






3 comments:
Yeah, that Mrs. P is the bomb.
I think the school board was in cahootz with the kiddos on that ridiculous calendar snafu.
Ask Aimee to spell Cahootz; she will probably do better than I did.
Hope Richard has a safe trip home, and that you survive the crazy schedule!
And congrats to Aimee, it sounds like she is doing great in school! Since when do they start preparing for SAT's in Kinder? I also heard there is new math out there, guess the old math wasn't hard enough? OK, time to go eat those bon-bons!
I absolutely adore Mrs. P. Now if I could only get her up to my neck of the woods for 1st grade. Perhaps she'd be interested in taking on our girls next year?
Personally, I don't get all these "teacher work days." My parents were both teachers, & when I was growing up, there was no such thing as teacher work days. There were planning periods for that stuff. The rest got done at home.
Post a Comment