Friday, September 26, 2008

Positive Thoughts From Around The World


Hey everyone,

I am reaching out to you in the hope that you will be able to send some positive thoughts and white light to Shanghai.

Since moving here I have had the privilege of becoming involved with an incredible group of women who have started a foundation to raise funds to assist seriously ill babies and children receive neuro and gastro surgery. All the children are currently living in orphanages all over China and have severe special needs.

Over the next four days a team of 12 doctors from China and 12 from the US will be performing long and painful surgeries on these precious children, in the hopes of giving them a better quality of life and the chance to become adopted either domestically or internationally.

I cannot begin to tell you how important this project is to me or how humbling it is to be able to share this emotional time in these children's lives. I have kissed and hugged each child and they have each touched a place deep inside my heart. The children range in age from 2 weeks old to 12 years old, they are all survivors already and have faced so much alone. To be able to see them smile and to hold their little hands is almost too much to bear. Over the past week they have arrived from all over the country and they will remain here until they are healthy enough to travel back to their respective caregivers. Each child has an ayi with them and they are the most wonderful women, who care deeply for their charges.

I will write more when I can, but I just wanted to let you know about this incredible moment in my life. I have never felt so fulfilled and I feel so blessed to be here to help even in a small way. Coming to China was a dream for me, but to be able to be here and help other children gain the chance of a better quality of life and eventually a family is way more than i could have dreamed.

Please, please as you go about your lives over the next few days keep the wonderful medical staff, the ayis and of course the children in your thoughts. I know how much combined positive thoughts can help. One of the babies surgery has yet to be fully funded (she will receive the surgery and we will find the funds to pay for it later), so if you have any spare change or large bills, please consider donating to this wonderful cause.

I am meeting such amazing people, who have such a heart for our children and the thousands like them who do not yet know the love of a family. There are just not the words to express how good it feels to be a part of this medical mission - the red threads that brought us together are incredible.
The babies names are Philip, Gavin, Shaun, Orly, Chase, Iris, Tyler, Lucas, Shanna & Jack.

BTW: We have one little girl (Abbi) who has just been diagnosed with heart issues and she now cannot proceed with her neuro surgery until she has had heart surgery. If anyone knows a great charity that helps fund heart babies, please let me know. This little girl is so precious,unfortunately the foundation I am with does not do heart surgery, so we want to try and get her the care she needs quickly with another group.

1 comment:

Mary said...

Oh, I LOVED the photos! This is exactly what I want to do when in Shanghai! So perfect...I am so jealous of all you get to soak in! :-)